Sharpen your pencils. It's submittin' season.
The Paper Darts Short Fiction Award is back and, boy, do we have a surprise. This time, the venerable Roxane Gay has agreed to judge you/r stories.
[chorus of excited cheers and gasps]
Entry fee: $5
Judge: Roxane Gay
Word limit: 1,200
• All entries must be previously unpublished and 1,200 words or less.
• The entry fee is $5.
• Enter as many times as you please. Each entry requires an entry fee of $5. If you include more than one story in your uploaded file without paying an entry fee for each, your submission will not be considered.
• Entrant’s name should not appear anywhere in the uploaded material. Do not submit a cover letter—the readings are blind, so you won’t need to butter us up.
• Previously published stories and stories forthcoming in other publications (print or online) will not be considered.
• Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but the entry fee will not be refunded if the story is accepted elsewhere.
• Notify us immediately to withdraw a story that is accepted elsewhere.
• All submissions are eligible for publication by Paper Darts in print or online.
• Deadline: 4/15/16 (subject to extend as we see fit).
You might know Roxane as the one who wrote Bad Feminist, a collection of essays outlining how it's possible to be human and a feminist at the same time. But to us, we idolize her for her work as founding editor of the literary magazine [PANK], which is probably the one place online that's cooler than Paper Darts. Her memoir, Hunger, is due out this summer, and we'll probably beat you to the front of the line to pick it up on its release day.